Market Dominant Price Change has Been Approved by PRC
The U.S. Postal Service recently approved a slate of newly proposed Mailing Service price changes which has been approved by the Postal Regulatory Commission (PRC). These new rates are scheduled to go into effect on January 22, 2017. The proposed price adjustments for First-Class Mail®, Standard Mail®, Periodicals and Package Services are within the price cap in U.S.C. § 3622(d) and are consistent with, or justified by an exception to, the workshare discount limitations in 39 U.S.C. § 3622(e). The PRC also concludes that the proposed classification changes for these classes are consistent with applicable law and regulations. The new 2017 Postage Rates Chart can be found here.
Which Postal Rates Are Increasing?
- First-Class Mail® Letters: $0.47 to $0.49
- First-Class Mail Flats: $0.94 to $0.98
- First-Class Mail Parcels (Retail): Overall 0.624 percent price increase; parcels between 0 to 4 oz. will continue to cost $2.67
- Media Mail®: Overall 1.135 percent price increase
- Library Mail: Overall 1.135 percent price increase
- Certificate of Mailing: Overall 6.1 percent increase
- Collect on Delivery: Overall 2.5 percent increase
- Return Receipt: Overall 2.9 percent increase
- Signature Confirmation™: Overall 3.5 percent increase
Which Postal Rates Are Decreasing?
- Single Piece Metered Letters: $0.465 to $0.46; this brings the discount to $0.03 off the price of stamped letters, an increase from the current half-cent discount and two cents more than when such discounts were initially announced.
- Overall prices for Presorted Letters/Postcards are decreasing slightly, by 0.250 percent, exclusively due to the reduction in the price of 5-Digit Automation Letters.
- Today, First-Class mailers that presort their mail can send up to 2 ounce letters for the same price as a 1 ounce letter. The USPS is proposing to extend the 1 ounce price all the way up to 3.5 ounces. Mail more for the price of only 1 ounce!
Additional Postal Service Changes
- Adult Signature Service will be made available for First-Class Mail Parcels (Retail), starting at $2.67 for a 1 oz. item.
- Collect on Delivery (COD) will become a Hold for Pickup only service. Items mailed as COD will be held at the delivery post office, and the recipient will be notified to visit their post office to pick up and pay for the item.
- Standard Mail will be re-branded as USPS Marketing Mail.
The above rate changes do not pertain to Shipping Services, such as Priority Mail®, Priority Mail Express® or First-Class Package Service. USPS has separately announced its 2017 rates for Shipping Services.